Friday, April 16, 2010

Blackberry Crumble

I love the fact that summer is quickly approaching because it means that fruit is going to be in abundance again. My favorite fruit is any kind of berry, and berries are certainly better when there's a delicious crispy, crumbly, brown-sugary mixture on top. I was inspired to make this recipe when I saw blackberries on sale in my local grocery store. I think I'll end up eating this whole thing by myself. Enjoy!

Blackberry Crumble (an attempt to make it healthier)
Source: Me

2-6 oz. packages blackberries
2 T lemon juice
1 cup sugar or Splenda
1/4 cup wheat flour

Crumble:
1/2 cup wheat flour
3 T sugar
1/8 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 tsp. salt
scant 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 stick unsalted butter, diced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash berries and put them in a large bowl. Add lemon juice, sugar, and wheat flour. Toss to coat well. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes.




In a stand mixer bowl, combine wheat flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and butter using the paddle attachment. Mix until the butter is the size of peas.

Pour the berries into the bottom of a glass baking dish (I used a deep 2-quart, but a square 8x8 would work, too). Press the crumble mixture together with your fingers to form large crumbles. Sprinkle over the berries and bake for 40-45 minutes until the tops are browned and the juices are bubbly. Serve warm or at room temperature. Vanilla ice cream would be good with this, too!


I accidentally put my scoops on the plate in the shape of a heart!




It's not going to last long!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails