Saturday, April 10, 2010

Creamy Chicken Pockets

I try my best to not stand in front of the cupboard yelling, "We have nothing to eat!" when, in reality, the shelves are teeming with food that could, in the words of my mom, be "thrown together." Once I feel like the canned goods have received enough of my ranting, I move onto the various items in the refrigerator, and--if I'm feeling especially daring--I open the fridge and the freezer at the same time only to yell twice as loud that all those pieces of frozen meat are just too, well, frozen or that all those veggies in the crisper drawer won't cut themselves. Then I slam both doors, return to the couch next to my husband who looks at me and says, "So, what's for dinner?" Of course that completely pushes me over the proverbial ledge and I tell him we're going out to Mexican food--only because that's his least favorite and I don't want to cook. Being the good husband he is, he just says, "No, Dear, we're not." Ugh. I guess now I have to get up and find something to make. And then, upon second, third, or twentieth glance in the cupboard and fridge, angels descend from heaven singing the Hallelujah chorus and it's as if things just make sense; I understand the whole "thrown together" thing that my mom does so effortlessly. That, my friends, is the process behind these Chicken pockets. I have provided you with the ingredients so that you don't have to go through the same ranting process that I did. Enjoy! :)

Creamy Chicken Pockets
Source:
Me and the angels from heaven
Yields: 4 pockets

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 packages of crescent rolls (for a total of 16 crescents)
1 cup milk
3/4 cup water you cooked the chicken in
1 cup frozen peas (or frozen vegetable medley)
1/2 onion, chopped OR 1 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
3 T butter
3 T flour
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to whatever it says on the crescent rolls package; it's usually 375. Put the chicken breasts in a large pot and cover with water; bring to a boil and allow chicken to cook completely. When the chicken is done, leave it in the hot water; do not drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and add the chopped onions and peas (note: if you're using onion powder, don't add that in yet). Once the onions are translucent (or when the peas are semi-tender), add in the flour, garlic powder (and onion powder if you didn't use the chopped onions). Combine the flour, butter, and onions well; allow to cook for just a couple of minutes so the flour taste goes away. Add in the milk and the chicken water; stir to combine, and allow to thicken on medium-low heat. You can now take the chicken breasts out of the water and shred or chop them up. Add them to the milk mixture and turn the heat up to medium-high to make sure everything is well heated and combined together; stir for about 2 minutes. Turn the heat off. Take the crescent rolls out and put two of the triangles together to form one square on your largest cookie sheet; do this until you have 8 squares. Spoon enough chicken mixture onto 1 of the crescent roll squares, leaving about 1/2 inch border; quickly top with 1 of the crescent squares pressing tightly to seal around the edge. Repeat for the remaining crescent squares. Bake until the crescents are golden brown. Enjoy with a simple green salad!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails