Sunday, August 29, 2010

Good Food, Good Books

More
Alright, I'll admit it: I'm a book nerd. I have a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf filled with books I've read, want to read, won't read, should read, and probably should not read because my Grandma wouldn't approve. Everything from Shakespeare to One Hundred Years of Solitude line the many shelves. My husband is allowed one shelf; it contains 2 economics books, one high school yearbook, one contracting book, a soccer trophy from the 8th grade, and a few of my books that wouldn't fit on the other shelves. In my classroom library, I have over 400 novels that I let my students borrow so that they can't say that there aren't any good books from which to choose; of course, they'd end the sentence with the preposition: "There aren't any good books to choose from." In the words of Cathy the comic strip lady, "ACK!"

Nevertheless, one of my all-time favorite things to do is curl up on the couch in my PJs with a good book, droop my big zebra blanket over my lap, set my bottled water, Diet Coke, a sweet and a salty treat on the TV tray next to me, and start reading. I'll sit there as long as it takes to get a good chunk of the book read--if not the whole thing. When I was in 3rd grade, I challenged myself to read all of Charlotte's Web in one day--and I did it! I was so proud of myself and that is still my favorite book to this day.

Admittedly, I read all types of books, but my favorite genre is Christian Fiction. I love the imagination it takes to create a fiction novel, but I also really appreciate the values and cleanliness of Christian Fiction. I think our world gets far too wrapped up in sex and the physicality of relationships. It's not that I'm opposed to non-Christian Fiction because it certainly takes talent to artfully string together any meaningful phrase that can hold a reader's attention, it's just that Christian Fiction offers something that is both entertaining as well as uplifting. That being said, I want to promote a friend's Christian romance fiction novel she wrote and self-published! My friend, Heidi Marshall, and I played in the band together in high school and both went to Azusa Pacific University so I'll be able to say, "I knew her when..." :-). Here's Heidi's description of her work as the writer of More:
"Remember 16 months ago when I decided to write a book?

It's been quite a journey! What started out as some ideas scribbled on index cards is now an actual novel. Well, a digital novel. I self published my book, More, and I'm excited to share it with all of you. And with strangers, too. And with those of you who are strange.

It's a light-hearted Christian romance fiction novel. I wanted to write a book for people like me - who believe in true love (awwww), but get tired of reading all those "romance" books out there that are just about sex. And vampires. And vampire sex. This story is about a young woman trying to navigate adulthood with all of its victories and failures, joys and sadness, community and lonliness, and basically trying to not end up a crazy cat lady. I hope it will make you laugh and think.

If the book had a back cover, this is what it would say:
Twenty-something Kate Henry lives a simple life in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. She fills her days managing a bookstore that she loves, spending time with her best friends and their young children, and trying to convince herself that she will someday have what she’s always wanted – a family of her own. Wounded by a father who abandoned her, Kate is desperate to find a man who wants to know and love the real her. The real her who talks to inanimate objects, loves to cook for others, and named her favorite pillow Mr. Darcy.

Will the reliable lawyer Ian realize after ten years of friendship that Kate is the one? Will the exciting and spontaneous Ben sweep her off her feet? After facing one heartbreak after another, Kate begins to wonder if perhaps she was meant to be alone. She faces some life-changing decisions, but always manages to keep her sense of adventure and humor.

It's available in ePub format (which works on most eReader devices except for the Kindle.) iPhone, iPad, Sony Reader, Nook - or you can read it on your PC or Mac by downloading free software (I recommend Adobe Digital Editions).

Thanks everyone!"
You can buy the book here and you can also read the first chapter by downloading the preview file. I hope you enjoy reading this book!

Recommended sweet treat: 5-Minute Fudgy Brownies
Recommended salty treat: Dilly Crackers
Recommended clear beverage: Water
Recommended fizzy beverage: Diet Coke

Much food love,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails