Monday, January 18, 2010

Lemon and Clove Cookies

During Christmas vacation (the most wonderful 17 days in a teacher's school year), I had the chance to get together with my friend, Janet. She has totally inspired my cooking! I have always loved cooking, but when I started teaching I felt too tired to do much of it. But, in an effort to save money I have realized that it is important to get back in the kitchen and bless my husband with homemade food! This recipe was Janet's, and can be found on her blog here. Enjoy!

Lemon Clove Cookies
Source: Adapted from
McCormicks, and Janet!
Printable Recipe


Ingredients
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter (1 and a half sticks), softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon lemon extract
zest of one lemon

Icing
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
zest of one lemon

Directions
Mix flour, cloves and salt in medium bowl; set aside.

Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg, lemon zest and lemon extract; beat until well blended. Gradually beat in flour mixture until well mixed.

Divide dough in half. Form each half into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and 9 inches long. Wrap in wax paper. (I totally ignored these directions and made one large rectangle, so my cookies came out more oblong than round.)

Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Cut dough into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.

For the Lemon Glaze, mix powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon extract in small bowl until well blended. Drizzle over cooled cookies. Let stand until glaze is set.



1 comment:

  1. these are soooooo yummy! I love the lemony flavor. My parents have a meyer lemon tree and I am thinking up recipes to use their lemons. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails