Friday, March 12, 2010

Good Ol' Sloppy Joes

I've heard them called BBQs, Taverns, and Sloppy Joes; I've even been slightly offended at having them called Manwiches. But, above all, I call them delicious. I love the simplicity of a Sloppy Joe sandwich. I used to love sitting down to a quick dinner with the family before a band or choir concert because my mom would effortlessly "just throw things together" in pan and call it dinner. We'd have fun things like chili cheese hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, or Sloppy Joes. On a semi-unrelated note, my mom has a funny way of cackling-laughing through a lot of things, but then again, I don't sugarcoat too much. I just kinda ask things straight up. So, when I asked her for the secret to making the perfect Sloppy Joe, she cackle-laughed through the following recipe. I realized how ridiculous it was to ask for a secret recipe like this when it was so, so easy! This makes a great weeknight dinner, and I hope you enjoy it!

Good Ol' Sloppy Joes
Source: Me and Mom

1 lb hamburger
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 T mustard
2 T vinegar
salt and pepper
2 chopped dill pickles or dill pickle relish
4 burger buns

Brown hamburger in a skillet; season with salt and pepper. Once meat is totally browned, add the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, and vinegar. Turn the heat up to medium-high and stir together the browned meat and other ingredients. Allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes. After that time, taste to decide if you want it sweeter (more brown sugar), tangier (more vinegar--not mustard), saltier (more, well, salt!), or if it's just perfect. Turn the heat down to low. Meanwhile, chop the pickles and slice the buns. Spoon the Sloppy Joe meat onto the buns and top with the chopped pickle. Serve with tater tots, fries, chips, or your favorite pasta or potato salad! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails