Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Shredded Beef Tacos

I think I was supposed to be born Hispanic. I don't know why but I have a huge affection towards Mexican food. It doesn't matter: tamales, burritos, tacos, tortas, carne asada, guacamole, salsa, chilaquiles, chiles rellenos, pozole...you name it, I love it. My husband, on the other hand, is not so in love with food from South of the Boarder. He was raised in a home where he ate only Lebanese food, so eating Mexican food is not his idea of fun. BUT, since I cook, I usually get to choose the direction of the meal! One afternoon, I put a tri-tip in the Crockpot with some salsa on top and waited with bated breath for it to be done...10 hours later. What a success! This was such a delicious meal. Well, it turned into two separate meals because I chose to put my shredded beef in taco shells while Computer Man made some instant mashed potatoes (yuck!) and corn to go with his! Oh well, I got my tacos in the end!

Shredded Beef Tacos

1 tri-tip (about 2.5 lbs)
1/4 cup water
1 cup chipotle salsa
1 onion, cut in half and sliced thinly
6 soft taco shells (corn tortillas)
shredded cheese
diced tomatoes
shredded lettuce
sour cream
more salsa

In the bottom of a cold Crockpot layer the onions and the water. Lay the tri-tip on top of the onions and pour the salsa on top of the meat. Put the lid on and set to cook for 8-10 hours. When it's done, heat the tortillas one-by-one on the flame on one of your stove-top burners; heat one side for a few seconds until the edges get a bit browned and then flip and repeat. If you have an electric stove top, let me first say I'm sorry, then let me say that you can put a small pan on medium-high and put the tortillas in the pan and heat on each side. Wrap the tortillas in foil to keep warm or put in a tortilla warmer. Shred up the tri-tip. Put 2 or 3 (or all 6) tortillas on your plate and top with pieces of the shredded beef, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, and salsa. Serve with Mexican rice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails