Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Blueberry Coconut Crisp (yes, Mom, the coconut is optional)

My local grocery store had a pint of blueberries on sale for just $1.99! I couldn't believe it! I love fresh fruit because it makes the best addition to something sinful like a Crisp, Crumble, or Streussel recipe. I'm sorry! Did you think I enjoy fresh fruit just for the sake of eating fresh fruit?! Heck no. My husband is the one who thinks a bowl of fruit is dessert. I say that's fine as long as you sprinkle it with sugar and put a dollop of whip cream on top. I distinctly recall my dad eating a lot of frozen fruit for dessert, too. So strange. Anyway, this dessert was a hit--even with my husband. It was actually his idea to add the coconut after he tasted the uncooked crumble mixture! He didn't have very much of it...and he didn't even know I used wheat flour instead of white. At least I attempted to "health-ify" it, right?


Blueberry Coconut Crisp
Yields: 8x8 dish...so two gigantic servings?
Source: Adapted from browneyedbaker

Ingredients:
1 pint fresh blueberries (about 2 cups)
2 Tablespoons white sugar
1 cup flour (all-purpose OR wheat)
1 cup instant oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/2 to 1 cup sweetened coconut (depending on how much coconut you want--you can totally leave this out)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl toss together blueberries and white sugar; set aside. In a separate large bowl, combine flour, oats, and brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half of this mixture in an 8x8 glass baking dish. Cover with all of the berries and then sprinkle the coconut on top of the berries. Sprinkle remaining crumble mixture on top of the coconut. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the berries are bubbly and the topping is golden brown. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails